Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Better late than never, that's what they say

Well it has been 2 months since my last post, and for that I am so very sorry.  I would get started on the next post, and then I would be called to do something else. That is the life of Miss Alabama, always on my toes. August flew by, but it was full of wonderful experiences and blessings.

A special appearance I had in August was Miracle Treat Day at Dairy Queen.  I felt so privileged to meet so many patients and families of patients on this appearance.  Children's Hospital is such a gracious and life-changing establishment and it is easy to do philanthropy for such wonderful people.  This was an excited and SWEET appearance.  Although I couldn't indulge in a Blizzard myself, I was happy to see the turnout for such a worthy cause.


  

August was full of excitement.  Every day we got closer and closer to the Miss American's Outstanding Teen Pageant.  I knew how excited Mi'a was about competing and meeting all of the other girls.I couldn't wait for everyone to see how wonderful our teen is.  She had a blast and did a magnificent job.  As you all have heard by now, Mi'a won a Talent preliminary award and was named 2nd Runner Up to Miss America's Outstanding Teen.  I cannot tell you how many people came up to me telling me how impressed they were with Mi'a and her performance all week.  I knew she had it in her, and I am so proud to call her my own.  I love you Mi'a and am so proud of the young woman that you are.  You make us all strive to be better individuals.





While I was in Orlando, I was able to meet all of my sisters from the Miss America Class of 2012.  Everyone was very gracious and cordial.  I can't wait to get to know them more during the week of Miss America.  While I was in Orlando, I was able to record a video for promotional purposes about why I should be the next Miss America.  It should be up on youtube sometime soon :-)  We were also given a private morning at Walt Disney World, which wasn't too shabby.  I got to meet some Princesses and characters right in front of Cinderella's castle.  It is always a good time when you are in the most magical place on Earth! 




 

One day, we went to Downtown Disney to have lunch at the Rainforest Cafe.  We met Leigh Sherer and her 2 beautiful sons for lunch.  It was so nice to finally get to meet her and  spend some quality time with a sister Miss Alabama.  Her sweet spirit and contributions to this wonderful organization are to me admired. 




After finals, there was a reception for family and friends to hear the awards given out to the very deserving teen contestants.  I was honored to be able to present the scholarships awarded from Auburn University to four lucky contestants.  I was able to snag a picture with Teresa Scanlan too.  All in a day's work for her I suppose. 







Orlando was an absolute blast.  I am honored to be able to be a part of such a wonderful group of girls
competing in January.  America will definitely be represented well for the next calendar year.  I am blessed beyond belief to represent this wonderful state.

Another opportunity that I had in August was to speak to the G.i.G.i Ministry at First Baptist Trussville.  They have started a Mother/Daughter ministry for young girls and I was priviliged to speak at the kickoff.  I was able to share my story about my bond with my mother and the influence that she had and still has on my life on a daily basis.  Roxanne from WDJC was there to speak to the mothers.  I also got to meet another fellow Miss Alabama sister, Resha Riggins. It was my honor to be a part of this wonderful occasion.  I love my job!




That sums up August.  It was a whirlwind of fun and something that I will cherish.  I will leave you with a note from my devotion yesterday:
"Accept each day just as it comes to you, remembering that I am sovereign over your life.  Rejoice in this day that I have made, trusting that I am abundantly present in it."

Take time to slow down, count your blessings, and remember that He is in control.


Have a blessed afternoon!

~Courtney
Isaiah 40:31

No comments:

Post a Comment